Tuesday 18 December 2007

Buying a used car (part 2): Ebay redeemed


Hooray for ebay! I've been tootling around in my new car now for a few days. And so far, so good.

Courtesy of Joel of auto_traders2006, I received it a week after I paid for it. I paid on the Thursday, it was sent to the Sydney depot on Monday and arrived in Brisbane the following Thursday. The service was second to none and Joel kept me informed all the way. The car is all good, looks nice, drives well and with only a couple of little quirks in keeping with a ten year old car. All the bits are in the right places and, although it lacks a few horses going up hills, it's fine for pottering about. Trying very hard not to compare it to my Lupo Gti which often makes a surprising 'grrrr' noise for such a small car and gets me to my destination yesterday.

While I hesitate to recommend that people buy a car on ebay without having looked at it, here's a checklist to ease those worries:

a) Do your research. Spend time looking at how much similar models are selling for and in which state. Prices will vary in different states.

b) Read the seller's feedback. Don't be put off, but be cautious of sellers with little feedback. If they are a business that uses ebay, they will want to maintain their reputation.

c) Check the car's history online using the VIN.

d) Ask lots of questions, eg. about the tyres, paintwork, etc.

e) Use a bid robot to see off the competition!

f) Remember to factor in any transport costs if you're buying interstate.

On a different ebay note, I recently discovered that the cow who wouldn't sell me her table because I won it too cheaply is trading again under a different name. lady*beetle84 is now cunningly disguised as beetle*84. Elementary Watson. Duh.

However, my ebay faith was renewed yesterday when, to help us host Christmas day for eight people, I picked up garden furniture from the lovely maxihull06 ebayer in Caloundra. He couldn't have been more helpful. So there.

Screw beetle lady. Ebay rocks!
Update (7.1.08): Diver Dave has named this car after Jim Morrison - because all the doors are f****d.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you reckon? Add your comments here.